Agents which decrease bone resorption in osteoporosis are all except?
C. Strontium ranelate
Correct answer : B. Teriparatide
X-ray spine – lateral view – showing osteoporotic wedge fractures of vertebrae – L1 & L2
Drugs used for treatment of osteoporosis
- Drugs which reduce bone resorption (anti resorptive drugs)
- Selective estrogen receptor modulators – Raloxifene
- Bisphosphonates – Etidronate, Risedronate, Pamidronate, Alendronate
- Hormone replacement therapy / estrogen
- Calcium supplements
- Vitamin D
- Denosumab -Monoclonal antibody which inhibits the maturation of osteoclasts by binding to and inhibiting RANKL.
- Drugs which increase bone formation
- Drugs with both effects (decreases bone resorption and increases bone formation)
- Strontium ranelate