All are true regarding leflunomide except?
A. Inhibits proliferation of stimulated lymphocytes
B. Depresses antibody production by B lymphocytes
C. Can be used in children
D. Can cause thrombocytopenia
Correct answer : C. Can be used in children
- Leflunomide is an immunomodulator.
- It is used in patients with active rheumatoid arthritis.
- It inhibits proliferation of stimulated lymphocytes.
- The active metabolite of leflunomide inhibits dihydroorotate dehydrogenase and pyrimidine synthesis.
- It can depress the antibody production by B cells.
- It should not be used in children and pregnant / lactating women.
Ref: Essentials of Medical Pharmacology, K D Tripathi, 7th ed, p212.
Image credits: Vaccinationist. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Activation_of_leflunomide.svg