All are true about separation anxiety disorder except:
A. The prevalence is 3.5% to 5.4%
B. Comorbidity is common
C. Prevalence is higher in girls
D. Average age of onset is 4 years
Correct answer: D. Average age of onset in 4 years
- Separation anxiety disorder is a common childhood anxiety disorder.
- It has a prevalence is 3.5% to 5.4%.
- It is more common in girls.
- The average age of onset is 7.5 years.
- Children have unrealistic worries about separation from a major attachment figure.
- Comorbidity is common.
- Usually present with school refusal and physical complaints related to anxiety.
Reference: Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics