Which of the following is not a contraindication to pregnancy?
A) Severe pulmonary hypertension
B) Severe obstructive valvular lesions
C) Large secundum atrial septal defect with left to right shunt
D) Marfan syndrome with dilated aorta
Correct answer: C) Large secundum atrial septal defect with left to right shunt
- Pregnancy is associated with many haemodynamic changes.
- There is increase in heart rate and cardiac output and decrease in peripheral resistance.
- Total blood volume is increased.
- Stenotic lesions and severe cyanotic lesions have a higher complication rate during pregnancy.
- Regurgitant lesions and left to right shunts (without pulmonary hypertension) are better tolerated.
Read more on cardiovascular contraindications to pregnancy at: https://cardiophile.org/cardiovascular-contraindications-to-pregnancy/