- Cytoreduction literally means reduction in the number of cells
- Cytoreduction surgery (also known as debulking surgery / cytoreductive surgery) aims at decreasing the tumor load by removing as much of the tumor as possible
- It is resorted to when complete surgical removal of the tumor is not possible
- Used along with chemotherapy / radiotherapy for achieving the best possible result
- eg: Debulking surgery for gynaecologic malignancy with extensive spread
Copyright © 2008-2018 PG Blazer.
Disclaimer : Although every effort is made to ensure the accuracy of the material, the authors will not be held responsible for any inadvertent errors. The information in this site is provided only as a resource for PG entrance aspirants, and is not to be used for any diagnostic or treatment purposes.