Which of the following is not a definitive airway?
B. Orotracheal tube
C. Nasotracheal tube
D. Laryngeal mask airway
Correct answer : D. Laryngeal mask airway
- Definitive airways prevents aspiration of gastric content, allows for control of ventilation and permits delivery of higher concentrations of oxygen.
- They include endotracheal tubes (nasotracheal / orotracheal), tracheostomy and cricothyroidotomy.
Non definitive airways
- They do not protect the patient from gastric aspiration.
- The concentration of oxygen delivered to the patient is lower.
- But they have the advantage of being easier to insert.
- They can even facilitate insertion of definitive airways. (Certain laryngeal mask airways are designed to facilitate insertion of endotracheal tubes.)
- e.g. Laryngeal mask airway, Oropharyngeal airway, Nasopharyngeal airway