Largest bursa in the human body is?
A. Subacromial bursa
B. Prepatellar bursa
C. Infrapatellar bursa
D. Trochanteric bursa
Correct answer : A. Subacromial bursa
- The largest bursa in the body is the subacromial bursa.
- It is located beneath the coracoacromial arch and the deltoid muscle.
- Supraspinatus tendon and the greater tubercle of the humerus is situated underneath the bursa.
- Prevents friction between supraspinatus tendon and acromion.
- Facilitates the movement of the greater tubercle of humerus under the acromion process during overhead abduction.
Ref: B.D. Chaurasia’s Human Anatomy, 4th Edition, Vol 1, p79.