- Mucous fistula is a type of abdominal stoma. (Abdominal stoma is an artificial opening created in the abdominal wall as an alternate path for feces or urine to reach outside the body.)
- When immediate anastomosis of bowel is not possible after resection, the proximal bowel is brought out as a stoma (eg: ileostomy, colostomy etc)
- But in certain cases, the distal non functioning part of bowel is also brought out through a stoma
- Such a stoma is known as a mucous fistula
- It appears small, flat and pinkish red
- It discharges only mucus – no fecal matter
Copyright © 2008-2018 PG Blazer.
Disclaimer : Although every effort is made to ensure the accuracy of the material, the authors will not be held responsible for any inadvertent errors. The information in this site is provided only as a resource for PG entrance aspirants, and is not to be used for any diagnostic or treatment purposes.