Most common cause of premature death in schizophrenia is?
A. Drug toxicity
B. Nosocomial infection
Correct answer : D. Suicide
Premature death in schizophrenia
- Life expectancy of patients with schizophrenia is decreased by approximately 15 to 25 years. 1
- Suicide is the most important cause of premature death in patients with schizophrenia.
- There is a 20 fold increased risk of suicide compared to the general population.
- Suicide attempts may occur without warning or expression of intent.
- Cancer is the second most frequent cause of mortality in schizophrenics. 2
- The rates of metabolic syndrome and cardiovascular disorders are also increased. 2
- The paradox of premature mortality in schizophrenia: new research questions, J Psychopharmacol. 2010 November
- Cancer mortality in patients with schizophrenia : A 11-year prospective cohort study, Cancer, Volume 115, Issue 15, pages 3555–3562, 1 August 2009