Thiopental is contraindicated in all of the following except?
B. Status asthmaticus
C. Pericardial tamponade
D. Penetrating eye injury
Correct answer: D. Penetrating eye injury
- Thiopental is contraindicated in porphyria, status asthmaticus, pericardial tamponade, and severe shock.
- It causes centrally mediated respiratory depression.
- It can cause laryngeal spasm and bronchoconstriction in asthmatics.
- Thiopental causes depression of myocardial contractility.
- Peripheral vascular resistance falls and it can lead to hypotension, which can be exaggerated if there is hypovolemia.
Ref: Lee’s Synopsis of Anaesthesia. 13th edition. p154, 156.