Delayed obstruction of urinary tract after TURP is most commonly caused by?
A. Bladder neck stenosis
B. Penoscrotal stricture
C. Bulbar stricture
D. Membranous urethral stricture
Correct answer : A. Bladder neck stenosis
Most common cause of delayed obstruction of urinary tract after Transurethral Resection of Prostate (TURP) is bladder neck stenosis.
Late complications of TURP include:
- Urethral stricture (3.8%)
- Bladder neck stenosis (4%)
- Stress incontinence (2.2%)
- Sexual dysfunction: retrograde ejaculation (65-70%) and erectile dysfunction (6%).
- Penoscrotal stricture, Bulbar stricture, Membranous urethral stricture and Submeatal strictures are subtypes of urethral strictures.
- Urethral stricture can be treated by end to end urethroplasty.
- Bladder neck stenosis can be corrected by endoscopic incision.
- Manual Endourology: Training for Residents By Rudolf Hohenfellner, Jens-Uwe Stolzenburg
- Post-TURP obliterative urethral stricture: Unusual treatment and favourable result. African Journal of Urology; A. Bhageria, , B. Nayak, P.K. Rai, P.N. Dogra
Image credits: Wikipedia