Healthcare delivery system is organised at 3 different levels. They are:.
- This is the most basic level of health care
- Healthcare delivery is through primary health centers, sub centers, multipurpose health workers, village health guides and trained dais.
- Most of the common illnesses can be treated at this level
- The focus is not only on treatment of diseases, but also on its prevention
- Cases requiring specialised care are referred to secondary and tertiary care centers
- This is the first referral level
- It is consists of district hospitals and community health centers
- Tertiary level provides the most specialised care
- It is provided by Medical colleges, Specialised hospitals, Apex institutes, Regional hospitals and All India institutes.
Referral system – When a patient requires specialised care, he is referred to a higher center. Once the disease is treated, he is referred back to the primary level for follow up.