Regarding rugoscopy, all are true except?
A. Palatal rugae are used as a method of identification
B. Palatoprints do not change during growth
C. Primary rugae are less than 3mm
D. Secondary rugae are 3-5mm
Correct answer: C. Primary rugae are less than 3mm
- Primary rugae are 5-10mm or more.
- Secondary rugae are 3-5mm.
- Fragmented rugae are less than 3mm.
- Palatal rugae are unique to each person.
- Harrison Allen, in 1889, suggested the use of palatal rugae for identity verification.
Ref: Textbook of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology, V. V. Pillay, 14th edition, p77.
Image credits: Based on image by Dozenist. Licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:06-06-06palataltori.jpg