- Swajaldhara is a community led participatory program with the aim of supplying safe drinking water to the rural areas
- Full ownership is for the community
- It also aims at increasing awareness about water conservation, sanitation and management of drinking water projects
- There are 2 components of the program
- Swajaldhara I – at gram panchayath level
- Swajaldhara II – at district level
- The district water and sanitation mission sanctions the project in the gram panchayaths
- The panchayaths plan, implement, operate and maintain all water supply and sanitation schemes
- Importance is given for water conservation by rain water harvesting and recharging of ground water systems for sustainable supply of safe drinking water
- The government is responsible for planning, policy making, monitoring and evaluation of projects rather than direct service delivery
- Completed projects are managed by gram panchayaths or village water and sanitation committee
Copyright © 2008-2018 PG Blazer.
Disclaimer : Although every effort is made to ensure the accuracy of the material, the authors will not be held responsible for any inadvertent errors. The information in this site is provided only as a resource for PG entrance aspirants, and is not to be used for any diagnostic or treatment purposes.